The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) hosted a sensitive taxa workshop on 18 and 19 August 2016. In October 2015, the Scientific Authority requested that SANBI update the National Sensitive Species 2010 plant and animal lists. The purpose of the workshop therefore was to use the knowledge and advice of the relevant experts to review and update the list.
To ensure that the lists that are compiled in a systematic and justifiable manner, the workshop was guided by the following documents:
- Guide to best practices for generalising sensitive species occurrence data by Arthur D. Chapman and Oliver Grafton.
- The SANBI Digital Access to Sensitive Taxon Data policy.
The following presentations were given at the workshop:
- Introduction to National Sensitive Species List
- Recommendations for identifying sensitive species
- An introduction to the National Sensitive Species List Online Tool.