The Encyclopedia of Life (EOL) is a major international project which aims to make knowledge about all living species on earth freely accessible on the internet. For more information, visit www.eol.org.
- SANBI has signed a Memorandum of Understanding ith the EoL to establish a node of the global project, which will be limited to providing information on South African species.
- The first phase of the establishment of the SA EoL is to develop checklists of the South African species.
- These will be used to identify and filter existing species pages from the EoL for the SA EoL.
- Gaps will then be addressed through contributions from various individuals or groups or institutions.
- This is a long term project, but the benefits will be that all species information is accessible through a single site, and that the data will be secured in the long term.